Thursday, October 5, 2017

Chili Cheese Dog Tator Tot Casserole

Here in Iowa it is fall, which means cooler temps and cravings for comfort food.  Today was a rainy day and I've been battling allergies or a cold and didn't feel like making anything too intense for dinner.  I also wanted something my kids (hopefully) wouldn't complain about too much.

I was browsing the interwebs around 4:45pm looking for some dinner inspiration when I came across a Chili Cheese Dog Bubble-Up Bake from Pillsbury.  I didn't have any biscuits and didn't feel like a drive into town to get some, so I decided to try substituting tator tots for the biscuits.

The result was 2 thumbs up from my kids. 👍👍

Chili Cheese Dog Tator Tot Casserole

Ingredients

  • 1 can (28 oz) Chili Beans with Sauce (I like Mrs. Grimes)
  • 6 hot dogs, cut into bite size pieces
  • 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
  • tator tots
  • Lowry's seasoning (optional)

Directions

  1. Heat the oven according to the tator tot directions. Lightly spray 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. Mix the chili beans and hot dogs in the baking dish.  Top with the cheese.
  3. (Optional) Toss tator tots with 1 Tbsp oil and Lowry's seasoning before placing on top of cheese.
  4. Place a layer of tator tots on top of the cheese.
  5. Bake according to tator tot directions (in my case the package said 450 for 12-20 minutes, and I baked it 20+ minutes).  Check near the end and continue baking until bubbly and tator tots are golden brown.
  6. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes.
I wish I had more pictures but my kids demolished this pretty fast.  Enjoy!

No comments: