Thursday, March 5, 2009

Who knew I was a lactivist?

So the other day another mom that I know from a local mom's group was at a local rec center with her children at their "indoor park" that they offer twice a week. She was breastfeeding her youngest child while the older child played. After she finished feeding her daughter a director for the rec center approached her and asked her to in the future either cover up more, or nurse her child in the locker room or bathroom.

Well to make a long story shorter, today a nurse-in was staged at the local rec center to show support for her and all mothers whether they nurse their children or not. The local media was present and I was interviewed. My interview was the lead story on the 5 o'clock news and other parts of the footage were shown on the noon and 6 o'clock news as well. To view the story, click on the picture to the left.

Breast-feeding is a natural process and one of my favorite things about being a mother. There is nothing sweeter than the milk-drunk look my son gives me after I finish nursing him. I won't get on my soap box too much on the benefits of breast feeding and how we don't ask other people to eat in the bathroom but we ask nursing mothers to feed their children in bathrooms. I didn't really consider myself to be a lactavist before today but I guess I am now.

Here's a link to Tara Thomas's blog as well. She is a anchor for the news station that covered our nurse-in.

No comments: